Skip to main content

Featured

Is love a living matter?

 We move, we cry, we die and somewhere in between we love. So, the question posed in the book I am reading is: Is love a living matter?  Yes, love expands the soul, hearts, minds, perspectives. Love does not deplete die or wither away. Love is arrogant, humble, shy, sad, happy, confident. Love is everywhere in everything never exactly going away but always transforming into something else. Love is romantic, love is platonic.  Love like all things deserves to be heard.  No quote today, I am reading The Passion According to G.H  by Clarice Lispector.  I will end this the same way as before: Be kind to yourself and others.

Kant's Choosing Freedom Chapter 1-5

 Okay, better late than never. I finished this book maybe last month in the middle of May or end of April. I wish I could remember. I am typing this in sections because it's ALOT and I want to ensure that each categorical imperative deserves respect and a spotlight. Like before, I am typing up notes that I wrote from parts of the book I underlined, commented added post it notes. 


  • Kant believes in to a live a morally good life is to live within reason. 
  • Deliberative perspective: a pre meditated plan (ex. sitting in a chair)
  • Positive freedom: to have positive freedom is to be capable of acting for specifically moral reasons. (when we make choices within rational principles)
  • Determinism: a philosophical and scientific view that all events including human actions are inevitably caused by proceeding factors
  • NOT LETTING DESIRES CHOOSE ACTIONS = FREEDOM
  • Whether or not we ought to do something is based on our desires
  • Self Love can turn into self conceit without boundaries and morality is what sets them. Morality does not just set some limits for self conceit. Self Conceit arises from a desire to raise ourselves above other people. 
  • KANT'S MORAL SYSTEM IS GROUNDED ON THE IDEA THAT RATIONAL BEINGS ARE EQUALS. 
  • Categorical Imperative: commands you must follow regardless of your desires
  • Moral obligations: are achieved from pure reason
  • Aristotle: moral judgement ͢ practical wisdom ͢sound judgement about what to do (complex virtue)
  • Categorical imperative on a moral idea already have; expresses the way in which a fully rational being thinking about actions
  • FIRST FORMULATION: UNIVERSAL LAW FORMULATION: what is the maxim/reason of our actions. Obligatory on the grounds it comes from reason. 
    Kant has two different imperatives (hypothetical and categorical imperative); Hypothetical (if/then) and categorical imperative (do X)
  • Reason tells you and I are equals 
  • Categorical imperative expressing what mostly good people already know what to do already 
  • Kant uses the universal law formulation to show why four maxims cannot be universalized: suicide; lying; never helping anyone in need; never reaching full potential.  Lying takes away someone's rational ability to make some decisions. Never helping anyone (Kant does not want to live in a world where people do not help eachother) 
  • Two different type of contradictions: perfect duty: one must always do.imperfect duty: is a duty which one must no ignore but admits of multiple means of fulfillment. 
  • Universal law formulation: is the necessity of seeing ourselves as the moral equals of other rational beings. 
I posted this and now I am editing it b/c I was in class and wanted to pay attention to my classmate's presentation. 

I think these first chapters took me a while to grasp and understand in my own words. I reread a couple of chapters in the latter half of the book because I wanted to understand it. I am going to wait until the end of the book to say if I think his philosophy or ideas align with what I want to believe in or what I want to strive to. 

I will not end this off with a quote but with my usual: "Be kind to yourselves and others."

Comments